The Customer Service Office serves the customers by reading meters, providing bills for services rendered, collecting revenue and providing other customer related services.
The mission of the Department of Portsmouth Public Utilities is to provide outstanding customer service and support to the citizens of Portsmouth.
Great customer service is more than being courteous to our customers. Exemplary Customer Service is at the core of our department - who we are, how we interact, and how we perform our duties makes all the difference in maintaining customer satisfaction.
We want you to know that we are committed to:
- Answering the phone and listening to your concerns and questions
- Getting bills out on time without errors
- Processing your payments timely and accurately
Establishing New Service
To establish any new water service or transfer new service:
- All customers must be signed in by 3 p.m. in the business office
- All customers in the office after 3 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
- Customers must have all required documents to be seen by a Customer Service Specialist.
- All co-tenants and co-owners need to be present when establishing new service.
- If renting a residential property, the deposit is a minimum of $170.
- If renting a commercial property, the deposit is a minimum $300.
If you are in the process of purchasing a property and need the water on before you settle, you must provide documentation giving early possession to activate services. Certain situations may still require a minimum deposit of $170.
We also offer same day inspections for $24.
*Deposit amounts can be changed based on previous unpaid balances with Public Utilities.
We accept all methods of payment for deposits except, personal checks and American Express.
- Automatic Drafting Form/Bank Draft Form (PDF)
- Real Estate Management Company Utility Contract (PDF)
- Release by Owner (PDF)
- Requirements for Commercial Water Service (PDF)
- Requirements for Residential Water Service (PDF)
- Requirements for Service - Real Estate Management Company (PDF)
- Residential Owner Utility Contract (PDF)
- Residential Tenant Utility Contract (PDF)